The word “detergent” is always a sort of taboo for us, because we are tenacious supporters of natural and ecological cleaning that doesn’t harm the environment and leaves no residues... yes, we’re talking about our beloved steam!
But since we haven’t yet invented a Vaporetto that cleans dishes by itself, we have only have two options: accept a compromise and go for an Ecobio washing up liquid or... turn the kitchen upside down and make our own!
So here’s our recipe for a washing up liquid suitable for both hand washing and dishwasher usage.
- 4 untreated lemons
- 850 ml water
- 120 ml white vinegar
- 270 g coarse salt
- Cut lemons into cubes, removing all seeds, and place them in a saucepan with 350 ml of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently until the water turns syruppy and the lemons are very soft.
- Turn off the heat, pour the contents of the saucepan into a blender, add the remaining 500 ml of water and blend to a smooth mixture.
- Pour through a sieve to remove the pulp; pour back into the saucepan.
- Add the salt and vinegar and mix.
- Bring to boiling again and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until theer is a sauce-like liquid.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool; stirring now and then to absorb any salt that may surface.
- Store in the refrigerator, in a glass container.